Sunday, February 26, 2012

Local


Local, written by Brian Wood and illustrated by Ryan Kelly, is a collection of twelve stories about a young drifter named Megan McKeenan. Each story focuses on period of time in her life living in a different city across North America. Not only is the location different in each chapter of her life, but Megan herself appears to be different as she not only tries to find a place to call home, but tries to find herself. Though as a character, Megan makes some questionable decisions, lies, and often gets herself into trouble, she always remains likeable. You really feel for the character and want to travel from place to place with the her and share her with her her journey of personal discovery. The book simply looks beautiful, and the artwork is stunning. The writing itself is arguably the best of Wood's career (having already found success with other great comics such as DMZ, Demo and Northlanders). While certainly not an amazing read, due to the quickness of some stories, lack of substance and lack of any other character development save for the main protagonist, it was an enjoyable one.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good read. I haven't picked up a graphic novel in quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this but you have done a good job describing the characters that i feel like picking it up now and reading it. I am already interested to know who Megan is and what she does as her character develops. well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this blog post really makes me want to check out this graphic novel. It is short and gets to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great setup of the story. I am going to have to get my hands on this, it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking for a good read for my hospital stay (when I deliver my baby) and this sounds like a good read. Like the other comments you've done a great job of selling the novel and describing the characters. Excellent job

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds interesting. I like the fact that it is a graphic novel. I appreciate when authors can incorporate art into their projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to check this out. I like graphic novels and prefer reading female protagonists, and your description of it sounds like its right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete