Sunday, March 4, 2012

Y: The Last Man


I discovered this series around the same time I first picked up the Walking Dead. Y: The Last Man is an epic tale about the last two males on the entire earth after a plague knocked out every other organism with a Y chromosome. Twenty something escape artist Yorick Brown and his pet Capuchin monkey Ampersand are some how spared and are left alone in a world that is now (almost) 100% female. At first blush, that may not sound so bad, but for Yorick, more often than not he is fighting for his life. This story has everything from epic action, to a terrific love story and amazing humor. The characters are terrifically fleshed out and incredibly awesome. Without giving too much of the plot away, it involves a cross country trip from Boston to California so a doctor that is accompanying Yorick can conduct research at her lab to discover the cause of the plague. A lot happens along the way, to say the least. The best comic series of all time? I say possibly yes. I could not recommend this book enough. I've made people read this that were not interested in comics prior, and now have become avid comic/graphic novel readers.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds compelling; most of the comics I read are manga and I've been wanting to get into graphic novels more. I'll check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it must be good if you're considering calling it the best comic series of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am gonna try and pick this up when I head to the Boston Comicon this weekend, I might try to grab a few you have mentioned.

    ReplyDelete